Now that summer is in full swing and it is seriously hot and humid here in Chicago (and most other places), it is time to adapt your beauty routine to the weather, if you haven't already. So without further ado, here are my favorite summer beauty tips:
1. Your hair will not want to be straight or sleek in the humidity. Pick up a good styling cream or curling gel and go with it. Headbands are your friend, and fortunately there have been a lot of cute ones around lately.
2. Like your hair, your eye makeup will also not want to be perfectly defined. Smudgy cream shadows and smoky eyes are good; as is just throwing on some waterproof mascara and calling it a day (especially if you are at the beach/pool). I've mentioned it on this blog before, but Maybelline Sky High Curves is the most amazing mascara I've ever used - I actually prefer it to Diorshow and Mac's Fiberlash and other high end brands. I also like to do a bright eyeliner, like the turquoise shade from Dior's Diormania eyeshadow palette.
3. A sheer but bright lip gloss looks amazing, especially something that leaves a sheer stain like a popsicle. Nars Lip Lacquer in Hot Wired is my personal favorite for this look - it is a shocking fuschia shade that is perfect with a real or faux tan. Corals and cherry-red shades are excellent choices as well.
4, This one is a necessity - nice smooth, moisturized limbs, whether you decide to rock the pale look or go bronze. Hell, if you don't like to shave your legs keep your skin in good condition, it makes a huge difference. In fact, if you are like me and tend to shave last minute (sometimes using hair conditioner or lotion because you forgot to buy more shave gel), try the Schick Quattro razor. The good people at Schick were nice enough to send me one to try and it is fabulous - perfectly smooth skin and no nicks even if you are clumsy and/or trying to shave about ten minutes before you have to be out the door.
5. Cooling down - keep your body lotion in the fridge to cool yourself down after a long hot day. Simple but effective.
6. Pedicures! For the love of the fashion gods, if you are going to wear sandals prep your feet first. You don't have to go to a salon (I never do), but pumice your feet and paint your toes before you wear those fantastic new sandals, otherwise you are killing the whole effect. Yes, it seems painfully obvious, but I see enough "hooves" out there parading around in what would be pretty sandals to know otherwise.
What are your favorite summer beauty tips?